National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day
Today is National Adopt a Shelter Pet day and I’m coming to you today to tell you that adopting a pet is very rewarding. We rescued Amaya last October and I’m so glad we did! Amaya came into our lives at a time when Nyx was deeply depressed from the loss of Phaedra. Nyx was developing an OCD licking problem because of her depression. Between temporary medication from the vet and adding Amaya to our lives, Nyx is now normal and healthy again. And of course, Amaya now has an amazing family!
Adopted dogs may need a little bit of extra TLC and understanding, but they are so worth it! Adopting a pet saves lives. So if you can adopt, please do. I understand that it’s not possible in every situation.
And yes, you can absolutely adopt purebred dogs! Amaya is a purebred standard poodle. I can only have poodles due to Dave having allergies. In the past, I’ve also adopted persian and birman cats with no issue. My bestie has rescued sphynx cats, too!
The top reasons animals end up in shelters:
- people think pets are disposable
- people didn’t do the research to find the right pet for their lifestyle
- people don’t get their pets spayed or neutered
- people aren’t responsible pet owners
- people don’t train or socialize their pets
- people lose their jobs
- people experience a radical life change
- people develop allergies to their pets
- people don’t anticipate how much pets will cost
- people don’t spend enough time with their pets
- people move and can’t take their pet with them
If you’re thinking about a new pet right now is the perfect time to get one!
Please read my How to Find the Perfect Pet Guide before you add another member to your family.
The number one thing you can do to prevent pets from going into shelters is to educate yourself and find the perfect pet to fit your lifestyle.
You should also get your pets spayed or neutered. Finally, if you’re going to get a dog, you need to socialize it, as well as do obedience training with it so that it’s a good companion. Pets are not disposable.
More from my site
Last Updated on