Happy Beauty Top Ten Tuesday! Today I’m sharing my top ten cruelty free summer sunscreens, with several vegan options. Recently I read that the only difference between a good sunscreen and a good moisturizer with SPF is the marketing behind it, and that’s very true. I’m very preachy when it comes to sunscreen because I feel like people just don’t know enough about it.
It’s very important to make sure that you are getting full spectrum UVA / UVB protection. You want to make sure that any SPF product you’re using has been FDA approved and comes with a drug fact label. There are many different ingredients that protect from UVB and they vary greatly. Ingredients that protect from UVA are ecamsule, avobenzone, oxybenzone, titanium dioxide, sulisobenzone and zinc oxide.
Never rely on just your makeup to provide you with enough SPF protection! Make sure you apply your sunblock or moisturizer with SPF liberally, then apply any makeup you’re going to use. Makeup with SPF is basically a nice bonus but I would never trust it solely to keep me safe, especially if I was going to be outside.
I’m adamant about wearing sunscreen because skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer in the USA. As a Type 1 on the Fitzpatrick Scale I never tan. I always burn and peel. So I do my best to make sure that I never burn by applying sunblock and then reapplying as necessary. You should reapply every 2 hours if you’re not sweating. If you’re sweating, make sure your SPF is water resistant and apply every 45 minutes to an hour. Also make sure you apply 15 minutes before you go outside or it won’t have a chance to take effect.
I always try to look for products that have physical sunblocks such as Zinc Oxide and Ititanium Dioxide, but both physical and chemical sunscreens can protect your skin. I also think it’s better to have SPF products with antioxidants included, since they increase the effectiveness of the SPF and they help to neutralize free radicals.
What the Numbers Mean
- SPF 15 – protects against 93% of UVB rays
- SPf 30 – protects against 96% of UVB rays
- SPF 50 – protects against 98% of UVB rays
Now, on to the products!
1. Supergoop! Advanced Anti-Aging Eye Cream SPF 37 – $45 for .5 fl. oz.
I just recently bought this and I’ve been using it for a week. I love it because it doesn’t burn my eyes and it’s nicely hydrating. I hate the gimmicky design with the ‘cold’ applicator. I would ditch the gimmicky applicator and increase the amount of product for the price.
- Octinoxate 7.5% (Sunscreen), Zinc Oxide 10.1% (Sunscreen)
2. Supergoop! SPF 35 Save Face Oil-Free AM Moisturizer – $28 for 3 oz
I’ve repurchased this moisturizer many times. It doesn’t irritate my eyes and it works well at protecting my skin from the sun. I also love the airless pump packaging. See my review.
- Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (5.0%), Avobenzone (3.0%), Octocrylene (2.79%)
- Super-charged blueberry antioxidants naturally heal and improve skin texture and elasticity
- Formulated with avobenzone, a sun filter that allows the skin to breathe and sweat, while delivering a full 40 minutes of water resistance, so it’s ideal for an active lifestyle
3. Supergoop! MintFusion Lip Balm SPF 30 – $8.50 for .5 oz
I have gone through countless tubes of this stuff and love it. It does a good job of penetrating into my lips and moisturizing them.
- Octinoxate 7.5% (Sunscreen), Octisalate (Sunscreen) 5%, Avobenzone 3% (Sunscreen)
4. Supergoop! SPF 30+ Endless Summer Pump – $48 for 18 oz
This is ideal for both face and body. It’s supposed to be water resistant. I picked it up for use on the body.
- Homosalate 8.0% (Sunscreen), Octisalate 4.0% (Sunscreen), Avobenzone 3.0% (Sunscreen), Octocrylene 2.0% (Sunscreen).
5. Paula’s Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50 – $16 for 5 oz.
This is not a product that I tried yet, but many people have recommended it to me. It’s supposed to set to a matte finish and be water resistant. (Vegan)
- Homosalate 10%, Oxybenzone 6%, Octisalate 5%, Avobenzone 3%, Octocrylene 2% (all FDA-approved sunscreen ingredients).
6. Paula’s Choice RESIST Cellular Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 25 – $27 for 2 oz
This is my favorite Paula’s Choice moisturizer that I’ve purchased. I love the finish and the way it feels on my skin. My only complaint is that I wish it was SPF 40! This is great for dry skin. See my review. (Vegan)
- Titanium Dioxide 8%
- Zinc Oxide 13% (broad-spectrum sunscreen agent)
8. LAVANILA the Healthy SunScreen Face Cream SPF 40 – $28 for 1.8 oz
I love this 100% natural SPF. It’s got broad spectrum UVA/VUB protection, plus antioxidants. I’ve repurchased it a ton. See my review. (Vegan)
- Titanium Dioxide 7.5%; Zinc Oxide 5.0%
9. Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47 – $54 for 4 oz, $32 for 2 oz
I haven’t tried this new moisturizer from Josie Maran but I did like her old one. This is supposed to be a new and improved formula with SunBoost ATB.
- Zinc Oxide 6.4%* (Sunscreen), Titanium Dioxide 5.1%** (Sunscreen)
10. Supergoop!Sun-Defying Sunscreen Oil Broad Spectrum SPF 50 – $26 for 5 oz.
I haven’t tried this one yet but I really want to! It’s supposed to be chock full of antioxidants, non greasy, and have lots of great anti-aging properties. Meadowfoam Seed Oil: Reinforces skin’s natural lipid barrier, enhancing moisturization and helping to prevent moisture loss due to dehydration from the sun’s rays.
- Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 7%, and Octinoxate 7.5%: Provide sunscreen protection.
What are your picks for the best cruelty free summer sunscreens? Be sure to share your skin type (oily, dry, sensitive, etc)