Do you know your skin’s undertone? Cover FX has a very easy-to-use shade system that works off of your skin’s undertone. They break it down into Pink undertone, Neutral undertone and Golden undertone. They even have a great shade finder quiz to help you get started. Visit the Virtual Makeover here to find your skin’s undertone and to get matched. I’m an N10, meaning I’m a neutral undertone. My friend Genia is G40 (golden) and my friend Nidia is P Light-Medium (pink).
Do You Know Your Skin’s Undertone?
One of the biggest draws to me for Cover FX products, in addition to being cruelty free and vegan, is that they are free of the inflammatory 5, which can cause people with sensitive skin to have issues. The inflammatory 5 are parabens, mineral oil, talc, fragrance, and gluten. Fragrance is the one inflammatory ingredient that gets me more often than anything else.
Since being diagnosed with rosacea and going on rosacea meds, my skin has gone from combo / oily to combo / dry and I often feel like it’s confused. It had been difficult to make adjustments to get products to stick around until I found the Cover FX CC Cream. That’s why it became a holy grail product for me. It works well with my finicky skin.
I personally think everyone should try a sample of the Cover FX CC Cream from normal to combo to sensitive to dry skin.
Cover FX makes the following recommendations by skintype
- Oily Skin (acne and blemish prone) – Use the BB Gel or Pressed Mineral Foundation. There’s even a new Blemish Primer coming soon! You could also try the Mattifying Primer.
- Combo Skin – Pressed Mineral Foundation, Total Cover Cream, Natural Finish, or CC Cream.
- Sensitive Skin – Total Cover Cream or CC Cream.
- Dry Skin – Natural Finish or CC Cream.
- Normal Skin – Natural Finish or CC Cream.
I also cannot stress enough how helpful primer can be, no matter your skintype, especially during the hot humid summer months. Using primer any time of year will help to extend the life of your makeup and foundation, so I highly recommend using a primer.
If you’re looking for primer pairings with Cover FX products here are what I would call Perfect Pairs
- Anti-Aging Primer with the CC Cream or Total Cover Cream. I use the Anti-Aging Primer the most.
- Mattifying Primer with the BB Gel or Pressed Mineral Foundation (though I like this for my nose and chin)
- SPF 30 Primer with the Natural Finish Liquid Foundation
- Anti-Aging Eyeshadow Primer – great for anyone
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I cannot wear eyeshadow and expect it to last without an eyeshadow primer. If I put on eyeshadow without primer, most shadows are gone within 20 minutes because I have a hooded eye shape and oily lids. So I need an eyeshadow primer to keep my shadow around.
Face primer, to me, is great because it gives you a smooth canvas to apply your foundation. You know that lately I’ve been obsessed with applying primer, then tinted setting powder, then my foundation, because it makes it last all day. If you want to see step by step how I do this, check out my Current Complexion Routine Video. I do use the Anti-Aging primer more than any other Cover FX primer.
Since the CC Cream is my favorite complexion perfection product, I wanted to share with you how the shades break down.
Cover FX CC Cream Shades Available
- N Light – for fair to light skin with neutral undertones (N10, N20)
- N Medium – for medium skin with neutral undertones (N30, N40)
- N Medium Deep – for medium-deep skin with neutral undertones (N50, N60)
- N Deep – for deep medium skin with neutral undertones (N70, N80)
- N X-Deep – for deep skin with neutral undertones (N90, N100, N110)
- P Light Medium – for fair to medium skin with pink undertones (P10, P20, P30)
- P Medium Deep – for medium to tan skin with pink undertones (P40, P50, P60)
- G Light Medium – for fair to medium skin with golden undertones (G10, G20, G30, G40)
- G Medium Deep – for medium-deep skin with golden undertones (G50, G60, G70, G80)
- G Deep – for deep skin with golden undertones (G70, G80)
One of the best things about Cover FX, as I mentioned in my Best Vegan Foundations post, is that Cover FX has an amazing shade range. The CC Creams and BB Gel are both very forgiving and have 10 shade offerings. The Cream Foundation, Powder Foundation and Liquid Foundation all offer 28 different shades, covering from the palest to the deepest of skintones.
Clearly, I love my CC Cream, Anti-Aging Primer and Matte Setting Powder!
Don’t forget, I’ll be hosting a twitter party with Cover FX today Thursday, June 26, 2014 at 4pm EST / 3pm CST / 1pm PST. Follow @CoverFX and @Phyrra and use the hashtag #CoverFXPhyrra to join in and ask questions. We’ll be giving away 5 primers, too!
Looking for more? Check out
- 10 Organization Hacks for Beauty Lovers
- The Pale Girl’s Guide to Highlighting and Contouring
- Best Vegan Foundations
- Pale Skin Foundations
What’s your Shade Match? What’s your favorite foundation / primer combo with Cover FX? Let me know below!