Happy Thanksgiving! Today I’ve got Too Faced The Chocolate Bar Eye Palette Review for you. The Chocolate Bar a brand new palette from Too Faced and all of the chocolate candy inspired eyeshadows are made using real cocoa powder. Yum! Don’t try to eat it though! This palette has 16 shades – 6 matte and 10 shimmer – that are bound to make makeup lovers rejoice. If you love neutrals and are just dipping your toes into color, this is the palette for you! (See my updated swatches and video review here)
Too Faced the Chocolate Bar Eye Palette Review
Yes, it really looks like a chocolate bar!
Too Faced is proudly cruelty free.
About the Too Faced the Chocolate Bar Eye Palette
This beautiful assortment of chocolate-inspired shades were formulated using real cocoa powder. Encased in a playful chocolate bar tin, the rich selection of the perfect browns, neutrals, and little pops of color appeal to every candy lover. 16 shades in a mix of matte and shimmers. Too Faced Co-founder and Creative Director Jerrod Blandino learned of the healing properties of cocoa while getting a chocolate facial in Maui. With Chocolate Bar he created a first-of-its-kind palette that combines the healing benefits of chocolate with richly pigmented, velvety smooth shadows. Chocolate has been used for centuries for its soothing properties and to protect, condition, and heal skin that has been damaged by sun and wind. Studies have shown that the scent of cocoa powder can increase memory and brain power.
- Try a neutral smoky eye instead of blacks and grays for a sultry look for day or night using these perfectly selected, chocolatey shades.
- Apply your favorite shades on lid, crease, or as a powder liner on top and bottom lash line for endless possibilities!
- Cocoa Extract: Provides antioxidant benefits and aids to reduce inflammation in skin.
Cherry Cordial, Crème Brulee, Hazelnut, Milk Chocolate, Triple Fudge, White Chocolate Ingredients
Talc, Mica, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Zinc Stearate, Sodium Saccharin, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Polyethylene, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Vanillin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Fruit Powder, Boron Nitride. May Contain(+/-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Copper Powder (CI 77400), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bronze Powder (CI 77400), Manganese Violet (CI 77742).
Amaretto, Black Forest Truffle, Champagne Truffle, Haute Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Semi-Sweet, Strawberry Bon Bon Ingredients
Talc, Mica, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Zinc Stearate, Sodium Saccharin, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Polyethylene, Sorbic Acid, Vanillin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Fruit Powder, Tin Oxide, Boron Nitride, Carmine (CI 75470). May Contain(+/-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Copper Powder (CI 77400), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) Aluminum Powder (CI 77000).
Candied Violet, Gilded Ganache, Marzipan Ingredients
Mica, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Talc, Zinc Stearate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Sodium Saccharin, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Silica, Boron Nitride, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Polyethylene, Sorbic Acid, Vanillin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Fruit Powder, Tin Oxide , Carmine (CI 75470). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Bronze Powder (CI 77400).
It’s online at Sephora, but should be available from Ulta and TooFaced.com too.
The Chocolate Bar Eye Palette contains:
– 0.03 oz x 14 Eye Shadows in Gilded Ganache, Milk Chocolate, Black Forrest Truffle, Triple Fudge, Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto, Hazelnut, Crème Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Cherry Cordial
– 0.10 oz x 2 Eye Shadows in White Chocolate, Champagne Truffle
Chocolate Bar Eye Palette Packaging
This is a metal case shaped like a chocolate bar and it has a magnetic closure. If you’re not careful, the plastic insert can keep the lid from closing properly. Chocolate Bar is elegantly written on the outside of the case, along with Too Faced. The back of the case lists off the amount of eyeshadows and other information about the palette. Inside the palette, there’s a mirror and underneath the mirror is written Chocolate Bar. Unfortunately, there is a little plastic insert that tells you the name of the eyshadows. I would have preferred to see the eyeshadow names printed on the palette itself. When names aren’t written on a palette, I’m constantly referring back to my review to figure out what shades I used. It kind of drives me crazy! Other than that, I like this palette design.
I really like that the largest shade in the left 8 shadows is the matte light beige White Chocolate, which is perfect as a base color or blending out other shades or as a matte highlight. This is definitely a shade that is a workhorse color so will get a lot of use.
In the right eight eyeshadows, the largest shade is Champagne Truffle, and it’s a great ‘glowy’ shade that makes a good eye brightener or inner v shade to me.
White Chocolate – matte light beige
Salted Caramel – matte peachy brown
Milk Chocolate – matte medium milky chocolate brown (has to be built up a bit)
Semi-sweet – matte slightly deeper than midtone brownStrawberry Bon Bon – matte light pink (has to be built up a bit)
Champagne Truffle – iridescent light pink (this shade almost has a glow to it, very pretty, perfect inner corner highlight)
Triple Fudge – matte darkest brown
Gilded Ganache – dark brown with twinkling gold glimmers (slightly powdery)
Creme Brulee – gold with brown undertones
Candied Violet – smoky purple with violet glimmers (the no flash version just did not want to pick up on the purple tones)
Cherry Cordial – deep burgundy with pink glimmers
Black Forest Truffle – smoky plum wine with pink and copper glimmers (slightly powdery)
Marzipan – light rose gold
Hazelnut – medium brown with subtle golden iridescence
Haute Chocolate – medium chocolate brown
Amaretto – coppery brown
Some combinations that spring to mind
- Marzipan on the lid, Black Forest Truffle in the crease
- Marzipan on the lid, Gilded Ganache in the crease
- Creme Brulee on the lid, Gilded Ganache in the crease
- Creme Brulee on the lid, Salted Caramel in the crease, Gilded Ganache to contour
- Creme Brulee on the lid, Semi-Sweet in the crease, Black Forest Truffle to contour
- Creme Brulee on the lid, Cherry Cordial in the crease, Black Forest Truffle to contour
- White Chocolate from lashline to eyebrows, Salted Caramel on lid and crease, Creme Brulee on the lid
- White Chocolate from lashline to eyebrows, Milk Chocolate on the lid, Candied Violet in the crease, highlight at the inner corner with Champagne Truffle
- White Chocolate from lashline to eyebrows, Marzipan on the inner 1/3 of lid and crease, Hazelnut on the middle 1/3 and Amaretto on the outer 1/3
- White Chocolate from lashline to eyebrows, Marzipan on the center of the lid, Cherry Cordial on the inner and outer lid, Black Forest Truffle to contour, highlight at the inner corner with Champagne Truffle
- White Chocolate from lashline to eyebrows, Milk Chocolate on the lid and crease, contour with Triple Fudge
- White Chocolate from lashline to eyebrows, Salted Caramel on the lid and crease, Triple Fudge to contour, a touch of Marzipan at the center of the lid, highlight at the inner corner with Champagne Truffle
- White Chocolate from lashline to eyebrows. Strawberry Bon Bon on lid and crease, Candied Violet to contour the eye, highlight at the inner corner with Champagne Truffle
I’d say the value on this set is pretty good. While 14 of the eyeshadows are .03 each (instead of the standard .05), 2 of the colors are .10, meaning that you’re getting .62 oz of shadow for $49. By comparison MAC refill pans are currently $10 for .05 oz, so for $50 you could only get .25 oz of product, making the $49 for .62 a much better deal.
While Strawberry Bon Bon and Milk Chocolate had to be built up more to get them to show color, they weren’t terrible, they just weren’t as silky as White Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Semi-Sweet and Triple Fudge. Looking at Strawberry Bon Bon, I thought it would be more pigmented than it ended up. Gilded Ganache and Black Forest Truffle are lovely, even if they are a touch powdery.
Marzipan was quite a surprise when swatched! It’s so pretty! I love this light rose gold shade. I didn’t expect Candied Violet to be a smoky violet, and I didn’t expect Black Forest Truffle to be a smoky wine. They’re lovely. Creme Brulee, being a gold, definitely has me in love with it. I also really like White Chocolate and Salted Caramel, as they’re great mattes.
Many shimmery browns just go muddy on me, so I find shades like Hazelnut, Haute Chocolate and Amaretto difficult to wear, though I think most people will love them. Thankfully there are a lot of matte and semi-matte shades in here, which makes the palette a lot easier to wear from my perspective. Shades like Salted Caramel, Triple Fudge, and White Chocolate are great for working with the other shades in here. I keep thinking Sugarpill Poison Plum would be awesome with Candied Violet!
If you are a neutrals fan, you will love this palette! The quality overall is great. The shades all work well together, and the unexpected Candied Violet, Cherry Cordial and Black Forest Truffle are a lot of fun.
Finally, this palette really does smell like chocolate. It smells delicious and the scent makes me happy. I like the idea of the added benefits of the antioxidants from the chocolate.
What do you think of Too Faced The Chocolate Bar Eye Palette? Love it? Need it? Too sweet for you? Let me know!
More from my site
Last Updated on