This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through affiliate links help support this website.

My Surgery

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone for all your positive thoughts, prayers and well wishes. I really appreciate it.

So at 5am this morning, I got up and showered. By 5:30 I was on the way to the hospital. By 6 am I was checking in at the hospital. By 6:30 I was in a bed, wearing hospital attire. They’d  neglected to tell us yesterday that only one person could come into the room with me, so Dave was in the waiting room while Ray was in the room with me. I had to take out all my piercings (which was not fun).

The first woman who came up to put a needle in my arm – at the bend of my right arm – seriously botched it up. She didn’t hit the vein right and so every time she tried to put something into my arm, it burned. I was crying, but not screaming. I’m very afraid of needles but I was trying to be brave and get it over with. So when the anesthesiologist came and saw that I was in pain and the needle was messed up, he took it out of my arm, carefully. He then gave me a numbing shot on my hand, put a new needle in, and put something in to relax me (since I couldn’t take a xanax or ativan).

Ray held my hand until the surgeon took me back, and then the surgeon held my hand until I went black. I came to and was in sudden, intense pain and my head was very clear. This was completely different from the last surgery I had, where I came to really drugged up and in no pain. Like on a scale of 1 to 10 I was at a 7 with my leg. The nurse helping me had me drink 2 containers of orange juice before I could be released. I then went to the lady’s room, put my clothes on and they brought a wheelchair to wheel me down to the car. This was good because walking is uhm… difficult right now.

Ray and Dave got me in the back of the Aztek and Dave climbed in the back to hold me as we drove home.  I called a few people to let them know that I’d made it through ok. I took a vicodin in the car on the way home (I had filled the prescription last night).

Once home I think Dave put me in bed and Phaedra curled up with us and we napped. I got up to try and do a meeting for work, but my leg hurt so much, and I’d exerted myself too much, that Dave had to help me hobble to the bathroom to throw up. Then I just sort of laid on the floor trying to feel better (our concrete floors are very good for that, at least).

I went back to bed for a while longer. Then Ray came home from work and made lasagna. It’s currently cooking.

My lovely friends/co-workers sent me some beautiful flowers today, which was totally unexpected.

Right now, I’m not sure why, but the vicodin isn’t working well enough an I keep getting nauseated when I’m staring at my computer. I feel pretty awful. I’ll be ok though 🙂

Poor Phaedra keeps wanting to lay on my legs, her usual spot,and I can’t let her right now.

Join The Conversation

Loading Disqus Comments ...
Loading Facebook Comments ...