Purchased by me.
My Playstation 4 arrived today. I pre-ordered it earlier this year through Amazon and was very excited about it, as were Ray and Dave.
How I Fixed my DOA PS4 When it Wouldn’t Boot
What I am about to share with you has happened in hundreds of households across the USA today. Hopefully the tips I share here will help you to fix your PS4 woes, too.
We pre-ordered games, which arrived on Tuesday.
When UPS dropped off the package today, I rushed it inside and opened it up. I was dismayed at the little air packets that Amazon used to pack the PS4 (their typical packaging for most things), but shrugged it off as the box didn’t appear to have been dropped.
I placed the Playstation 4 under the tv, and hooked it up. I knew there was supposed to be an update.
My stomach filled with dread!
I tried calling Sony but was on hold with no end in sight.
Finally, in an act of desperation, I tried putting in another hard drive that we had from a spare laptop. I figured since I could install my Samsung SATA SSD 840 Pro III into my laptop without issues, I could try the Playstation 4.
There is a single screw holding the caddy in place, so I removed it, and replaced with a spare laptop hard drive we had available (500GB 7200RPM).
The PS4 ships with a smaller 7mm HDD, but a normal 9MM will fit just fine.
On reboot, the system indicated it did not recognize the drive, and indicated we needed to download the software from Sony.
I was able to find Step by Step instructions on Sony’s website.
- It told me to use the Direct Link to 1.5 Software, and then copy it to a USB thumbdrive.
- Make sure to create folders on the drive as instructed. First a folder “PS4,” and then inside it another one called “UPDATE.”
- Copy the downloaded file to the UPDATE folder, and eject the drive when finished.
- Fully power down the machine, and when it boots, it walked through installing the updated software for the system and we were finally welcomed to our PS4!
Unfortunately the Sony Playstation Network is currently down.
I wish I’d had another Samsung SSD 840 Pro SATA III to put into the Playstation 4!
Thankfully by troubleshooting I was able to turn my DOA PS4 into a working console.
- PS4 Owner Online Manual
- Sony PS4 Software Update Step by Step
- Direct Link to 1.5 Software
- Hardware Tear Down
Let me know if you’ve ever had to do something like this!
You may also like 10 life changing beauty hacks you need to know!