For Halloween this year, I had to be Mavis from Hotel Transylvania. She is adorable! The day I saw the movie, I went out and ordered a dress in EXACTLY her style from Amazon.com. The day came and went for that dress to arrive. I contacted the seller, who was sold out of the dress, and wasn’t sure where the package got lost, so he refunded me for the dress. I went out and found another dress. Same thing happened. Finally, in an act of desperation, I found a 3rd dress, which was sort of similiar and went with it. I couldn’t believe how much trouble I had getting my dress!
The wig that I’d ordered, which had bangs in the style of her hair, ended up not being at all like her hair, so I said screw it and went with my black and red wig from Gothic Lolita Wigs. I love this wig. I’m so glad that I did! I had multiple people think it was my real hair at the Halloween party. I purchased my black and red socks from Sock Dreams. I used Sugarpill for the eyeshadow!
As you can see, Mavis is basically wearing a black turtleneck short sleeve sweater dress. It’s adorble.
Here’s my interpretation. Since my 3rd choice dress did not match, I added a red belt. Some of the concept art included a red belt. I also wore my red and black curly wig, which I adore.
Always start with a base of eyeshadow primer.
How to achieve the look:
- Apply a black cream shadow to the lid and lower lash line with a flat brush, extending it slightly into the crease. I used MAC Blackground, which I’ve had for years and purchased when MAC was still cruelty-free. You can use a black gel liner too.
- Pat Sugarpill Bulletproof on top of the black cream shadow.
- Softly apply Sugarpill Tako on the browbone with a fluffy brush.
- Blend Sugarpill @#$%! into the lower crease with a tiny crease brush.
- Curl your lashes and add mascara.
- Apply Sugarpill Lumi on the browbone and at the inner corner. I also added a dab of BftE Glistening at the inner corner for extra sparkle. Apply Tarina Tarantino Tommy Jet liner on the lower waterline.
- tarte 12 hour eyeshadow primer
- MAC Blackground – lid, crease and outer v, lower lash line, inner v
- Sugarpill Bulletproof – lid, crease, outer v, lower lash line, inner v
- Sugarpill Tako – browbone
- Sugarpill @#$%! – crease
- Sugarpill Lumi – browbone and inner corner of eye
- BftE Glistening – inner corner of eye
- Essence multi-action mascara
- Milani Total Lash Cover mascara
- Billion Dollar Brows Raven Brow Powder
- Billion Dollar Brows Clear Brow Gel
- Tarina Tarantino Tommy Jet pencil – water line
- tarte face primer
- Illamasqua Skin Base in 1
- Illamasqua Feline – contour
- Too Faced Candlelight duo – all over highlight
- Nyx lip pencil in Blackberry
- Urban Decay lipstick in Oil Slick
I hope you like my Hotel Transylvania Mavis tutorial and costume! I absolutely adore Mavis and I LOVE the movie! I WILL end up with my perfect dress for this costume, even if I have to make it myself. I can’t believe all the snafus I had with getting my dress. What’s your costume for Halloween this year?
Some products purchased by me. Some products sent for consideration. All opinions are my own.